What to do Before Getting a Divorce
Before you move ahead with a divorce, your lawyer would advise you to make some preparations. It might seem heartless, but if you plan to ask your spouse for divorce or if you think your spouse might ask you for a divorce, then there are some matters you must take care of. What to do before getting a divorce is a question that would immediately strike your mind. The things that you should think about before getting involved in a divorce process are described further.
Things to Consider before Getting a Divorce
- Consider Legal Options: Even if there is no hope for the survival of your marriage, divorce counseling can help you in discovering what went wrong, how to cope with divorce, etc. Donít wait for your spouse to take part. If you donít know how to find a skilled counselor, you can take the help from any counseling agency or from your social contacts.
- Speak with an Attorney: Even if you donít want to hire an attorney, it is advisable to meet with a lawyer and discuss your situation with him. Get as much information as you can before even discussing about divorce with your spouse.
- Donít Move out of Martial Home: Leaving the house without a good reason may result in you paying the alimony or could result in your inability to collect alimony. If you leave the house, you might not be able to return until the court divides the property. The best thing is to stay in the house until you speak with a lawyer, unless your spouse gets violent. If your spouse gets violent, you must take all necessary steps to protect yourself and your children.
- Extra Marital Affair: If you have been involved in any extramarital affair, its better you speak with a lawyer before you discuss this with your spouse or anyone else.
- Safeguarding the Assets: Take some essential steps to safeguard your assets before you and your spouse start discussing divorce. One of these include taking the possession of certain assets during separation, especially those which you wish to be using in the future such as vehicles and furniture and those assets that might be liquidated by your spouse including precious gems and stones, cash, etc.
The next possible step while thinking what to do before getting a divorce is restraining your spouse from transferring or disposing any property that comes under the restrictive order. You can always take help from your lawyer by using him as an injunction if your spouse refuses to give your separate property back to you which is under his/her possession.
Other protective measures that you need to consider before getting a divorce include: closing all joint bank accounts and opening accounts in your own name, changing the name of the responsible party on utility and other bills, etc.
While the above list would help you in knowing what to do before getting a divorce, it is by no means a complete list of all the things to know and do if you are considering divorce.
File for Divorce
Getting a Divorce
Divorce Guide for Men
Divorce Guide for Women
Divorce Child Support
No Fault Divorce
Low Cost Divorce
Cheap Divorce Lawyers
Divorce Court Records
Divorce in Australia
Divorce in Europe