Reasons for Getting a Divorce
Marriage is no more a fairy tale. Itís a fact that, divorce rates all over the world are going up year after year. However, the kind of relationship a couple has determines whether they want to go for a divorce or not. Some relationships are worth working on, some arenít. In such a case, it is better to go for a split-up than be caught in an unhappy marriage. There are many reasons for getting a divorce out of which some are mentioned below.
Reasons for Divorce
- High Expectations: Many couples get married with high expectations and when the expectations are not met, they clash with each other and break up. Divorces often happen as people rarely discuss their expectations in detail prior to marriage and are less willing to work on their marriages. Couples have got divorced for reasons like snoring than treating and solving the problem.
- Adultery: Reasons for getting a divorce include infidelity as the main cause. There are many couples who break their own marriage by committing adultery.
- Compatibility: Marriage is just not about physical compatibility, the spouses should have a mental compatibility as well to have a successful marriage. When the couple doesnít care about each otherís feelings, there is a higher possibility that they would divorced.
- Harassment and Dowry: Since ages, dowry has been one of the main reasons for divorce, especially in India. Some men harass their wives to bring in more wealth from their parents and when they are not able to meet their demand, the marriage ends in divorce. There are some men who marry only for the money. As more money can be obtained by marrying more, several men get divorced to marry again.
- Lack of Commitment: For many couples, marriage is not more than a ceremony and they do not follow or keep the commitment made through the vows to the partner. They often forget that a relationship is built on commitment and faith rather than looking for fix solutions.
- Lack of Physical Attraction: Itís quite natural for couples to lose interest in maintaining their physical beauty and health after some years of marriage. Such a situation could end up in a divorce. There are many men who marry unattractive or handicapped girls just for the huge amount of dowry they bring. Once the money is gone, then their dissatisfaction can cause verbal or physical abuse resulting in divorce.
- Family Background: People who come from divorced homes stand a great chance to get divorced than people who come from happily married households. Many such people do not have faith in marriage and do nothing to save their marriage. For them, divorce is not a big deal if they have seen their parents going through it.
Apart from all these, cheating or passing wrong information about the groom or bride can be a reason for divorce. Other reasons for getting a divorce include hiding information about the groomís drinking habits (if any) or having an affair. Both partners should understand the reasons for a successful marriage in order to avoid a divorce.