Getting divorce in Oklahoma
Getting a divorce in Oklahoma is very stressful. Most people who decide to end their marriage due to stress are shocked to know that the divorce process is even more stressful and emotionally hard to deal with. To make it simple following guidelines are given to you.
- You must be staying in Oklahoma for at least six months before going to the district family court to file a request for divorce.
- You must file a petition for divorce in the county where either you or your spouse has resided for at least 30 days.
- If you have minor child, there is 90 days waiting period between filing date of the petition and divorce approved by the court. Whereas divorces with no small child can be approved within in 10 days from the date of filing.
A divorce case starts when one spouse files a petition for divorce in the proper county's district court. Grounds for divorce are;
- Husband and wife are leaving separate for one year
- Extreme cruelty
- Drinking problem
- Neglect of duty
Key steps to keep in mind while getting a divorce in Oklahoma
- Fill all the important papers and take these papers to a notary for signing. These papers are:
- Petition for absolute divorce
- Certification of verification.
- Motion for waiver of hearing
- Pauper's Affidavit
For getting divorce you will need to make three copies of all these important forms.
Contact your spouse and give him\her copies of following forms ;
- Copy of the Petition for divorce.
- Copy of the Certification of verification.
- The original Motion with your notarized original signature
- the original Affidavit for your spouse
After serving the notarized documents to your wife , make the copies of;
- Motion for waiver of hearing (3 copies)
- Affidavit of consent (3 copies)
- Proof of service (3 copies)
Once you filed the petition court will focus on the following issue to finish your divorce process:
- Court can order spousal support during the divorce process in addition to child support. This support alimony is depends upon one party's need and your ability to pay support alimony.
- The division of marital property is the most difficult issue to solve. You have to deal with the issues like marital assets such as a family owned business. Oklahoma is an equitable distribution state. But in contested divorce, marital property and debt are divided according to the court orders.
- It is known that in every case equitable division of property and debt does not necessarily.
- While getting a divorce in Oklahoma it is important to know that the parent who is awarded custody of the child must provide the education as well as support of the child with the help of noncustodial parent. For making a final decision about child support, the income and wealth of both the parents is taken into granted.
In this way, rule regarding getting divorce are briefly provided which will help to decrease your stress.